Amalfi lemons, thought to be the best in the world, are big and not the most attractive fruits but taste beautifully sweet. If Amalfi lemons are not available, use un-waxed lemons.
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus marinating
- 455g (16oz) herring fillets
- 6 lemons, preferably Amalfi or Sicilian
- sea salt and crushed black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 200ml (7 fl oz) olive oil
- Cut the fish fillets into three pieces. Arrange with the bay leaves in a single layer in a large shallow dish and squeeze the juice of 5 of the lemons over the top. Thinly slice the remaining lemon and set aside.
- Season then cover loosely with cling film, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the
- olive oil and garnish with the remaining thinly sliced lemon.
- Serve as a starter with fresh foccacia.