A yummy recipe for a whole mackerel on the BBQ. Quick and easy.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Skill level: Easy Peasy
Recipe by: Seafish
- 2 whole mackerel (heads removed and cleaned)
- Bunch of herbs of your choice (eg flatleaf parsley, dill, basil), chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Score each side of the mackerel 4-5 times with a sharp knife.
- Mix the herbs with the oil. Rub the herbs over the fish, pushing them into the scores on the fish.
- Pack the remaining herbs, together with the lemon, into the cavity of the mackerel and season the fish.
- Place on the barbecue carefully and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side depending on the size of the fish. When cooked, remove and squeeze over some lemon juice.
As an accompaniment, chop some sun-dried tomatoes and quarter some cherry tomatoes. Place a little of the sun-dried tomato oil in a frying pan and gently warm both of the tomatoes together with 1 tbsp baby capers. Serve with the mackerel.